2 functions of the Red Plastic
- to secure the reader head during shipping
- to help to a guide for the gap between the reader and the scale during installation
So they should be remove.
Suggested time to remove the red plastic
We suggest to remove screws (8 screws) before you start the installation of the scale.
This is because in some case the space constraint make it difficult to remove the screws after you have install the scales. If there is no space constraint you can remove it after you install the scale.
BUT THE SCREWS SHOULD BE REMOVED BEFORE YOU START TO MOUNT THE READER HEAD.
How to use the plastic to check the gap between the reader and the scale.
1) There are 2 plastic on the reader head, the short plastic can be discarded.
2) The long plastic can be used to check the gap between the reader head and the scale.
3) Install the bracket and align the reader head with the red plastic, so that they rest nicely
on the scale.
4) Tighten all screws and slide out the red plastic.
5) Move the table and observe that the read head does not rub against the scale.
6) Check the gap with the red plastic, at both end limits and the middle of the scale.
7) The gap should fit nicely; else you will check your alignment of the scale/ reader head.